How to apply for a Canadian visa in Cameroon
Applying for a Canadian visa may be a tricky affair but we shall be guiding you through the process in this article.
Processing time to obtain a Canadian visa in Cameroon
Processing time for Canadian visas varies depending on the type of visa and country of application.
In most cases, processing times are between 2 and 5 weeks.
Share And Follow Us
However, if you apply for a Canadian visa in Cameroon, you can expect that your application will take longer because the embassy requires more time to process applications from Cameroon than in other countries.
If you apply for a Canadian visa from another country (e.g., South Africa), you can expect shorter processing times because they do not require as much vetting of documents or interviews with officers as they do with applications made in Cameroon.
Step 1 - Gather your documents
For the visa application to be considered, you will need to gather all of the following documents:
- Your passport – your passport should have at least 6 months remaining validity on the date that you apply for a visa. The passport must be signed, undamaged, and not due to expire within 6 months.
- Proof of payment – this can take one of two forms. If you are applying by post or courier service (see next point), then you will need to provide proof of payment for postage costs. Alternatively, if you are applying in person at an embassy or consulate, then it will not be possible for them to accept money directly from applicants so this step does not apply. However, if traveling on a budget airline with no checked baggage allowance then it might still be worth bringing some cash just in case.
- Proof of relationship – this could be any combination of documents showing that both parties intend to live together as husband/wife or common-law partners including birth certificates; marriage certificates; joint bank account statements; joint utility bills; etcetera.
Do note that these requirements vary slightly depending upon which country issue your passport (i.e France vs Italy) but most European countries will require something similar.
If unsure what these documents look like ask us before preparing yours! We would love nothing more than to help out fellow travelers on their journey through life.
Also, don’t forget about deadlines – some countries only accept certain days per month when issuing visas so keep track of those dates too.
Step 2 - Fill out an online visa application
Next, you will need to fill out an online application form. When you have completed the form and submitted it, you will have made your visa application.
At this point, you must collect all the required documents and pay the fees. You can then book an appointment at VFS Global to submit your application.
You should make sure that you have all of these things before applying for a visa:
- Passport – Your passport must be valid for another six months after arrival in Canada. It must also contain at least two blank pages when entering Canada as well as one blank page for stamps/visas while you are there;
- Two recent passport-sized photos (3 x 4 cm) of yourself;
- Proof that proves that you have enough money to live in Canada during your stay there (usually around $7000). This could be from bank statements or other documents like employment contracts;
- Proof that shows why exactly you want to visit Canada — maybe it’s because of work or school?
Step 3 - Pay the fees
You’ll need to pay a service fee of $120 to the Canadian Embassy in Cameroon. This can be done by cash, credit card, or bank transfer.
When you submit your application and supporting documents, it will take 45 days for them to process it.
The embassy will send you an email when they have received your application and documents as well as when they have processed them and sent them back to you.
Step 4 - Prepare a printed copy of your completed application, documents, and proof of payment.
You will need to print out your application form and the supporting documents you have selected.
To ensure that you can complete this step, ensure you have all the correct information before printing your documents.
You will also need to print out a copy of the receipt for payment as proof that your visa application has been submitted.
Step 5 - Book an appointment
The next step is to book an appointment at VFS Global, the company that will process your visa application. You can do this online or by phone.
The first option is free but there are some restrictions on when you can book an appointment; you must make sure that it falls within your pass’s validity period and that they have available slots in the city you want to visit.
If these conditions aren’t met, then you will have to pay a fee that varies depending on where you live and how far away from Canada it is.
The second option involves booking directly with the embassy or consulate in Cameroon (if there is one) or through one of their authorized travel agents who act as third-party service providers for them.
This method costs more than going through VFS Global but doesn’t come with any restrictions on availability like there are if using their website directly; however, it’s less convenient since someone else has already made all of those decisions for you so there might be fewer options available overall when compared against what could potentially be possible if booking via VFS itself instead.
Step 6 - Submit your application at VFS Global
Once you are ready to submit your application, bring the following documents:
- Your passport (original) and visa application form (signed).
- Visa application fee receipt.
You will also need to submit a recent passport photo of yourself, which should be taken within 6 months. The photo size must be 45 mm x 35 mm with a white background.
Step 7 - Receive your passport back via courier service or pick it up from VFS Global
Once you have been notified that your visa application has been approved, you will be given instructions on how to receive your passport from the visa office.
Special fare available on International flight tickets
If you are picking up your passport yourself:
- You will need to pay a small service fee at the VFS Global office in Cameroon before they will hand over your documents.
- The process of receiving and collecting the documents is not difficult but it may take some time, depending on how busy they are with other clients at the time of collection.
- To avoid any delays, we suggest that you bring a friend along with you when picking up your documents as well as make some money for parking fees if necessary (the fee depends on where exactly this VFS Global branch is located).
What are the types of visas available to Cameroonians?
- Family-Sponsored Visas: If you have a family member living in Canada, you can apply for this visa. To do so, your family member must sponsor your application and provide proof of his or her status in Canada.
- Spousal Sponsored Visas: If you are married to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and he/she is willing to sponsor your application, then this visa may be right for you.
- Independent Visas (Student/Work): If you plan on studying or working in Canada as an international student or employee without the help of any Canadian sponsors (friends, family members, etc.), then this type of visa would be appropriate.
What is the cost of a Canadian visa for Cameroonians?
The cost of a Canadian visa depends on the type of visa you apply for and the country you are residing in.
For example, if you are applying for a visitor or transit visa while living in Cameroon, it will be CAD 150.
However, if you are a citizen of another country and have never been to Canada before, then your application fee will be CAD 75 plus an additional service fee (which can vary).
The cost of a Canadian visa also depends on what type of passport is being used—whether it’s an ordinary passport or a diplomatic one—and whether it has been issued by the Government of Cameroon or not.
If someone wants to travel with their diplomatic passport but does not have one yet because they cannot get one from the government because there is no office where they can apply for it (or maybe there’s nothing left after all these years), then he/she must purchase his/her regular passport from another country before applying so that he/she can use both at once when entering into Canada legally without any problems whatsoever.
Learn how to apply for a Canadian visa in Cameroon
Before you begin to apply for a Canadian visa, make sure that:
- You have all the documents required for the application.
- You can afford to pay any applicable fees.
- You have enough time to finish your application.
After making sure that you are ready, follow these steps:
- Go to the official website of the Canadian embassy in Cameroon here. Click on “Apply Online” or “Apply by Mail”. If you choose Apply Online, then proceed with step 2; otherwise, continue reading this guide.
- On this page, click on the “Apply Online Now” button which is situated at the top right corner as shown below: